Job seeker interview Tips & Questions
When you go on a job interview there are a variety of types of interview questions you’ll be asked. You’ll be asked about your employment history, your ability to work on a team, your leadership skills, your motivation, as well as other interview questions related to your skills and abilities.
Your responses need to be targeted for the job you are interviewing for. Your responses should show the employer why you’re a qualified candidate and why you are a fit for the job and the company.
Take the time to prepare for a job interview, in advance, by reviewing the different types of interview questions you’ll be asked, as well as by taking a look at sample answers for each type of question.
Top 10 Interview Questions
- What is your greatest strength?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Why are you leaving or have left your job?
- Tell me about yourself?
- Why do you want this job?
- Why should we hire you?
- How do you handle stress and pressure?
- Describe a difficult work situation / project and how you overcame it.
- How do you evaluate success?
- What are your goals for the future?
These are some of the tough interview questions that you may be asked on a job interview. Review the questions and consider an appropriate response, based on your background and skills.
There aren’t necessarily any right or wrong answers, but carefully consider the job you are applying for, your abilities, and the company culture before you respond.
Difficult Interview Questions
Questions About Co-Workers and Supervisors
- Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a co-worker who wasn’t doing his/her fair share of the work. What did you do and what was the outcome?
- Give me an example of a time when you took the time to share a co-worker’s or supervisor’s achievements with others?
- Tell me about a time that you didn’t work well with a supervisor. What was the outcome and how would you have changed the outcome?
- Have you worked with someone you didn’t like? If so, how did you handle it?
- Tell me about a time that you helped someone.
- Tell me about a time that you misjudged a person.
- How do you get along with older (younger) co-workers?
Questions About Your Abilities
- Describe a decision you made that was a failure. What happened and why?
- Tell me about a time that you worked conveying technical information to a nontechnical audience.
- Tell me about a time that you worked with data, interpreting data, and presenting data.
- Why do you think you will be successful at this job?
- Tell me about a time that you participated in a team, what was your role?
- Tell me about a time when you were faced with conflicting priorities. How did you determine the top priority?
- Tell me about a time when you failed.
Questions About You
- What would you do differently if you could start your working life over?
- How do you balance life and work?
- What is your preferred way to communication – instant message, phone, or email?
- Do you check voicemail and email when on vacation?
- What is your favorite book? How about your favorite movie?
- What historical figure do you admire and why?
- If you could choose anyone (alive or deceased) to have lunch with, who would it be?
- If you could be any animal on a carousel what would you pick and why?
- What did you do during this six month gap in employment?
- What do you love?
- What led you to this point in your life?
- Do you consider yourself successful?
- What inspires you in a job?
- What excites you most about the position and what do you think would be stretch for you?
- Who are the influencers in your life?
Questions About Your Career Goals
- Start with your graduation from college and explanation the rationale behind each of your career moves.
- Also explain the thinking process that went into making each if those decisions.
- How many hours a day/week do you need to work to get the job done?
- If you stayed with your current company, what would be your next move?
- How do you measure success?
- Describe your dream job.
- Describe a job that would be your worst nightmare.
- If you were the CEO of this company what would be the top two things that you would do?
Questions About Working With Other People
More Difficult (and Some Strange) Questions
- Are you a risk taker?
- Are your parents married?
- If you could meet with an historical figure, who would it be and why?
- If you were an animal what would you be?
- If you were a fruit what would you be?
- It’s your dime.
- Convince me to hire you.
- How do you feel spiritually about divorce?
- We unplugged that clock on the wall. Why did we do that?
- Which do you think you are the most like, and why… a chameleon, a wolf, or an owl?
- Why shouldn’t I hire you?
- What does your current employer think you are doing today?
- What is your favorite amusement park ride?
- What is your favorite game?
- What was the most recent book you have read?
- What would you bring to a pot luck lunch?
- Who is your favorite singer?